QAWhat are the eligibility criteria of Building Maintenance Grant Scheme for Elderly Owners (BMGS)?


The applicant for BMGS should be a holder of a valid Hong Kong Identity Card; aged 60 or above; the owner-occupier of a residential flat in a private domestic building or composite building; applicant and his/her spouse (if married) should be residing in the property; and should comply with the prescribed income and asset limits as follows:
- Monthly Income Limit: HK$7,820 (Singleton), HK$12,770 (Couple)
- Asset Limit: HK$668,000 (Singleton), HK$1,012,000(Couple) 

(Version dated: Apr 2018)

QAWhat are the vetting procedures for Building Maintenance Grant Scheme for Elderly Owners (BMGS)?

Applicant must submit income proof and asset declaration.  Applicant is required to make statutory declaration to confirm that all information and evidences supplied are genuine and correct. 
Computation of income excludes monthly contribution to Mandatory Provident Fund, Disability Allowance, Old Age Allowance and mortgage repayment of the self-occupied property.  Computation of asset excludes the value of the property in which the applicant resides.

QAIf only one member of a married couple is the registered owner, will the income and asset of the other member be computed in the application for Building Maintenance Grant Scheme for Elderly Owners (BMGS)?

A Yes, assets of the unit owner and the spouse (if married) will be included.

QAIf the unit is jointly owned by two persons who are not a married couple and one of them is not an elderly, how to calculate the amount of subsidy of Building Maintenance Grant Scheme for Elderly Owners (BMGS)?

A The subsidy amount is based on the undivided shares of the elderly’s ownership. For example, if the elderly owns 30% share of ownership of the flat, he / she can get up to HK$40,000 x 30%.

QAWhat are the eligibility criteria for the Building Safety Loan Scheme (BSLS)?

A The applicant must be the owner of a private building, be it a domestic, composite, commercial or industrial building. The loan should be used for carrying out the following building maintenance works: improvement of the structure of the building; safety of external walls; fire safety; fire services installations and equipment; building and sanitary services; slopes and retaining walls; removing unauthorised building works (UBWs); and illegal rooftop structures. Applicant should have appointed qualified building professionals/competent contractors to supervise the works.

QAHow is the interest calculated for the loan under Building Safety Loan Scheme?

A The interest rate is set at Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’s no-gain-no-loss rate which is reviewed on a monthly basis.

QAWhat is the repayment arrangement for the loan under the Building Safety Loan Scheme?

A The first repayment by instalments will be due one month after the final drawdown of the loan. The maximum repayment period is 36 months for an interest-bearing loan and 72 months for an interest-free loan.

What are the eligibility criteria for MBISS?

Buildings should fulfill all of the following criteria:
  • Private residential or composite (commercial & residential) buildings aged 30 or above (according to the Occupation Permit), excluding residential buildings not exceeding 3 storeys; and
  • Buildings of an average rateable value per residential unit not exceeding $162,000 p.a. in the urban areas including Shatin, Kwai Tsing and Tsuen Wan or $124,000 p.a. in the New Territories; and
  • Buildings not in single ownership; and
  • OCs/co-owners having received MBIS Pre-Notification Letters or Statutory Notices issued by BD; and
  • Applicant is required to appoint a person whose name is for the time being on the Inspectors’ Register kept by the BA for the prescribed inspection.
  • Application should be submitted before the appointment of RI.

QAIf an owner has only received MWIS Pre-Notification Letter or Statutory Notice, can he/ she apply for MBISS?

A No. Only the building owners having received MBIS Pre-notification Letters or Statutory Notice can apply MBISS.

If the prescribed inspection of a building has indicated repair works in common parts are necessary under the MBISS, is there any financial assistance offered by HKHS/URA?

The IBMAS was jointly operated by HKHS and URA since April 2011. All new applications under the IBMAS will be handled by URA starting from July 2015. “Common Area Repair Works Subsidy” under the IBMAS implemented by URA can provide financial assistance on repair works in common parts. Eligible individual owners can also apply “Common Area Repair Works Hardship Grant” (maximum amount $10,000). Apart from this, BMGS (maximum amount $40,000) funded by the government and administered by HKHS and BSLS (maximum amount $1million) implemented by BD can subsidize or provide loans to individual owners to share the expense related to repair works in common parts.